Posted: March 7, 2022
Product Development Manager
Location: Houston, Texas
- 3-5 years
- Position Type:
Research, develop, coordinate and sell FIT and group leisure tourism packages and experiences to tour operators, receptive operators, hotel companies and/or final consumer. Collaborate with attractions, events, restaurants and all Houston tourism related organizations in the negotiation and operation of tourism packages for potential visitors. Support the department’s vision, goals, and organizational objectives. Develop content for internal and external presentations and marketing materials to promote and sell tourism experiences.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (individual duties, assignments and responsibilities required of the position)
- Identify attractions, events, restaurants and tourism services to be included in leisure tourism packages.
- Define and price experiences relevant to the preferences and interests of key FIT and group market segments including: student/educational, convention attendees, group travel, cruising, etc.
- Identify areas of opportunity for leisure product development, including experiences and tours, and work collaboratively with Vice President of Leisure Market Initiatives and tourism industry partners to grow offerings and capacity.
- Assist in creating and managing efficiencies throughout operational process of cataloguing, maintaining and growing developed experiences and tourism product.
- Initiate and develop good working relationships with existing and potential GHCVB members, the community, airline partners, travel industry partners, neighboring CVB’s and the state of Texas tourism office and their representatives.
- Manage fulfillment of leisure product experiences purchased through VisitHouston in partnership with VisitHouston’s sales technology provider.
- Work closely with VisitHouston team members in providing product suggestions for itinerary creation of familiarization tours for members of the travel industry that can generate bookings to the Houston area (airlines, travel agents, tour operators, receptive operators, wholesalers and meeting planners).
- Collaborate with Sales and Marketing departments to provide leisure focused experiential product packaging and develop content in support of international and domestic sales and marketing efforts.
- Develop presentations for both internal and external audiences in support of tourism related speaking opportunities.
- Maintain an updated record of trace activities and contacts in Simpleview CRM database.
- Work closely with appropriate departments to effectively track room nights generated to Houston derived from the creation and distribution of leisure product.
- Maintain budget and reporting of leisure product sales and communicate with internal and external partners on an as needed basis.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of tourism industry trends including third party sales and marketing, consumer purchasing, destination sales and marketing best practices, as well as international economic trends that could impact the industry.
- Coordinate and participate in domestic and international trade shows, sales missions, sales blitzes, workshops, and seminars as requested (6-8 per year).
- Other duties and special projects as required.
- Actively participate in weekly department meeting
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: (personnel supervision, budgets, performance, etc.)
- This position has no supervisory responsibility
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: (special training, certifications, college degree, etc.)
- Bachelor’s Degree is required.
- A minimum of 3 years Tourism, Hospitality, Marketing or Public Relations industry experience is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: (technical, communication, interpersonal, etc.)
- Excellent oral and written skills required.
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills required.
- Knowledge of Houston, Harris County as well as surrounding counties and cities (i.e. attractions, hotels, restaurants, traffic routes) is required.
- Customer Relationship Management software experience preferred.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point) required.
- Strong and consistent attention to detail required.
- Ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts is essential.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple, concurrent projects and work effectively under pressure and within budget.
- Must have a current passport, valid driver’s license and clear driving record.
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.