Posted: December 5, 2022
Director of Communications
Grapevine Convention & Visitors Bureau
- $83,423.86 - $120,964.74 Annually
Serves as the front line media contact for all media-related inquiries and is the official Convention and Visitors' Bureau (CVB) spokesperson in a variety of media outlets, including print, broadcast and online. This position also directs the development and distribution of up to date information and materials including press releases, media alerts, story ideas, brochures, social media communications and others as needed.
Manages and leads the communications program. Sets and guides the overall communications strategy for public relations initiatives and overall bureau messaging. This position enhances the CVB’s position as the primary collection source, disseminator and conduit of information regarding Grapevine’s hospitality industry. Works closely with senior staff to create a unified communications message. Develops and writes individual media releases and copy for CVB documents as needed.
1. Develops, implements and evaluates the annual communications and media strategic plan across a variety of convention, meetings, leisure travel and other related media. Directs the development and distribution of media releases regarding events, attractions, festivals and other elements on a continuing basis.
2. Serves as the official spokesperson for the Grapevine CVB in all media formats, along with preparing a variety of other individuals such as festival chairpersons, stakeholders, and staff for potential interviews. Provides media training to stakeholders, marketing partners, and community partners upon request. Develops and distributes current media materials including press kits, press releases and additional resources.
3. Directs the development of written communications including Grapevine Today, brochures, e-Newsletters, website content and other collateral. Works closely with management to complete media releases and brochures no less than 60 and preferably 90 days ahead of festivals and events.
4. Develops and maintains current media database of all pertinent members of local, regional, national and international media. Develops and maintains list of publication profiles and editorial calendars for story placement. Develops story ideas and creates opportunities for story placements across a variety of media platforms including print, online and broadcast. Builds relationships with members of the media across a variety of platforms on an ongoing basis.
5. Develops a 3-year calendar for major magazines seasonal content and plan advance media familiarization tours and media missions corresponding to the calendar.
6. Develops and manages annual communications budget as it pertains to local, regional, national and international media outreach initiatives including media familiarization tours, media missions and additional media outreach opportunities. Works in conjunction with local stakeholders including hotels, attractions, restaurants, stores, winery tasting rooms, civic and service organizations and others regarding media familiarization tours and media missions.
7. Directs the development, approval process and distribution of press releases, monthly articles, digital newsletters and other editorial content. Assists with editing of other city publications as needed to local, regional, national and international media.
8. Supervises and mentors subordinate positions. Provides corrective counseling when required.
9. Works with management and the other CVB staff to execute Grapevine’s social media strategy.
10. Works closely with the Governor’s Office of Economic Development and Tourism, as well as local, regional and national industry partners to implement Grapevine’s media strategy. Directs the participation on Texas Tourism media familiarization tours and media missions.
11. Monitors monthly media coverage and provides monthly media reports to staff and stakeholders. Develops and maintains a monthly calendar of events distributed to media sources including bloggers, websites, print and broadcast contacts.
12. Works closely with digital Director of Marketing to oversee the creation of content for the CVB website which coincides with the overall communications strategy. Directs and develops the editorial portion of a variety of collateral pieces as requested by the various CVB divisions.
13. Ensures a timely and appropriate strategy for the promotion of the City of Grapevine as a Tourism and Convention Sales destination.
14. Ensures the production and distribution of press releases and other materials to the media.
15. Ensures the coordination, development and production of brochures to promote the City of Grapevine as a Tourism and Convention Sales destination.
16. Ensures the coordination, development and production of written materials such as Grapevine Today and/or other similar marketing pieces to promote the City of Grapevine as a Tourism and Convention Sales destination.
17. Ensures the submission of story ideas, background information and press releases to selected publications.
18. Ensures coordination with management and other CVB staff for social media content.
19. Ensures development and management of annual Communications budget.
20. Performs related duties as directed when such duties are a logical and appropriate assignment to the position.
21. Regular and timely attendance are required for this position.
22. Interacts professionally and respectfully with the public, coworkers, and others in the course of daily work.
23. Ability to work evenings and weekends when needed
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• Ability to create and edit a variety of written work including press releases, presentations, brochures, website content, etc.
• Must understand basic principles of journalism, English usage, spelling, grammar, punctuation and business correspondence.
• Ability to utilize modern office procedures, methods and equipment including computer software.
• Demonstrated ability for most-current uses of social media trends.
• Must have excellent written, verbal, and communication skills.
• Must have outstanding organizational skills.
• Must develop a complete working knowledge of Grapevine including all of its attractions, stakeholders, and amenities.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Bachelors degree plus five years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience in public relations, journalism or related field that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Prior hospitality industry experience is preferred.
Must pass a Federal/National criminal background check and credit check. Must have a valid Texas driver's license with an acceptable driving record as defined by City policy.
Must pass a pre-employment drug screen.
While performing the essential functions of this position the employee is rarely exposed to disagreeable environmental factors.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the essential functions of this job the employee is regularly required to perform light to medium work that involves walking or standing, use the computer keyboard and mouse, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear, stand, walk, and stoop, or crouch. This position requires occasionally lifting and/or moving up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. This job requires the ability to work in an office environment where the noise level is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and the job requirements change.