Updated January 2012
Contribute to the Texas HotelPAC PDF
The TACVB Legislative Affairs Committee was established to assist members in the legislative process.
On a federal and state level, we work closely with our allied associations, such as the Texas Travel Industry Association, Texas Hotel and Lodging Association, Texas Restaurant Association, etc.
Legislative Affairs Committee Update
- Proper use of hotel occupancy tax (HOT)
- Local regulations impacting tourism
- Local funding
- Any other local issues
Membership in the committee is open to all TACVB members. You can also request information by contacting Bridgette Snyder, TACVB, email@example.com.
Tourism Return on Investment
Out-of State Return on Investment
- The Out-of-State ROI estimate for Texas Tourism was $7.58 for every $1 invested in fiscal year 2010.
In-State Return on Investment
- The combined In-State ROI estimate for tourism marketing of the Texas' MOU state agencies was $6 for every $1 invested in fiscal year 2010.
Source: Office of the Governor, Economic Development & Tourism Division; Strategic Marketing & Research, Inc.
Legislative Affairs Committee 2011 Areas of Interest
- Online Travel Agents (OTA) potential legislations
- School start bills
- Support state tourism funding
- Oppose legislation that singles out the travel and tourism industry as a source for state or local revenue
- Protect state funding for other state travel/tourism related agencies (TXDOT, Parks & Wildlife, Historic Commission, Commission on the Arts, etc)
- Texas Tourism Legislative Caucus - Current membership list (PDF download to come)
- Any local issues - use of HOT tax, city regulations, parks regulations, etc
Texas Legislative Links
| TTIA Legislative Priorities
- Preserve the Uniform School Start Date Law (4th Monday in August)
- Preserve Funding for the State Tourism Advertising and Promotion
- Oppose Legislation (e.g., new or increased taxes, fees, surcharges, etc.) that Singles Out the Travel and Tourism Industry as a Source for State or Local Revenue
- Protect State Funding for State Parks and Other State Travel/Tourism related agencies and programs
- Support Travel/Tourism-Related Agencies (e.g., TxDOT) Under Sunset Review
- Work to Improve TxDOT's Highway Signage Program
- Partner with Industry Associations on Issues of Importance to the Travel and Tourism Industry
- Monitor Regulatory and Other Legislation Affecting the Travel and Tourism Industry
- Oppose the proposed Federal "Internet Travel Tax Fairness Act" and similar legislation that might be filed at the state level
- Support Teleconferencing for Visa Application Interviews (Federal Issue)