Texas Travel Fact
Travel spending directly supported 544,400 jobs with earnings of $16.8 billion.
Find more Texas Travel Facts at www.travel.state.tx.us.
For the latest on job postings, news and events.
Postings of Current Job Vacancies
Listed are some current vacancies within the tourism industry.
Click on the job title below to jump to its listing.
City of Pearland Convention/Visitor Bureau Marketing Manager
Employer: City of Pearland
Post Date: 05/22/2013
Closing Date: June 14, 2013
Salary: $43,000 - $50,000 annually DOQ
JOB SUMMARY: The Marketing Manager of the Pearland Convention and Visitors Bureau (PCVB) works as a team player in tandem and reports to the Executive Director of the PCVB. The basic function of the position is to increase leisure and business travel to Pearland through proactive outreach to travel writers, press, travel agents, planners, group tour operators, receptive tour operators, sports planners, etc. In addition, the position will develop working relationship with local sites and hotels to cooperatively achieve these goals.
The PCVB, the city’s official tourism marketing organization, is a City-operated entity dedicated to building City of Pearland’s economy and positive image through tourism and convention development, major events and the marketing of the city on a worldwide basis.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of the office’s promotion and marketing program and in the creation of an overall image for City of Pearland.
- Develop annual public relations campaign. Write and distribute press releases electronically/snail mail and follow-up on press releases on various topics. Working knowledge of City of Pearland’s attractions, sites, history and know where to find research information and data. Communicate with travel writers by email, phone and snail mail.
- Develop annual marketing campaign. Write copy for ads and develop promotional campaigns. Attend monthly meetings with agency and City of Pearland staff.
- Write, edit, and proofread listings for Travel Guide, Map, Meeting Planner Brochure and other niche brochures with publishers or city staff when done internally.
- Update, write, maintain and edit Pearland’s website and work with outside company. Develop and maintain Social Media campaign; Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc. Obtain and maintain photography and video for website, Facebook and Twitter.
- Develop and write suggested itineraries for CVB office as well as press writers, tour operators and/or planners when visiting Pearland on Familiarization trips. Act as host on FAM trips when various visitors are in Pearland; attend travel media industry shows.
- Write annual end-of-year reports and maintain monthly/quarterly reports for leads, inquiries, website, etc. Gather all information for reports and related paperwork.
- Work with outside Advertising Agency on advertising and promotional campaigns.
- Answer phones, handle inquiries and perform necessary day to day office duties.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND LICENSES:
Bachelor’s Degree required.
Three (3) years of experience involving tourism development, advertising, business development, marketing activities, or closely related field, for a public or private enterprise.
Valid, Class C Texas Driver's License, required.
- Good knowledge of tourism development and promotional activities in Pearland.
- Knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques used in tourism marketing, promotional and public relations, local tourism development, tour packaging, and tourism event development and coordination.
- Knowledge of the geographic and business area layout of communities in City of Pearland.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write proposals, reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals; ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Internet software; spreadsheet software and word processing software, or the ability and willingness to learn this software.
TO APPLY: Visit www.cityofpearland.com – please attach a cover letter, resume and writing samples to the online application.
QUESTIONS: Call Donna Foster, HR Assistant (281) 652-1618
Convention and Visitor’s Bureau Director
Employer: City of Cleveland
Post Date: 05/20/2013
Salary: $36,000 - $40,000/annual - DOQ
Position Summary: Develop strategic marketing plan to increase overnight stays in Cleveland, Texas. Responsible for directing and leading the City’s Convention & Visitors Bureau program in its mission to market and promote the City as a competitive meeting, corporate, and leisure destination.
- High School Graduate or GED equivalent required
- Bachelors Degree in tourism, marketing, public relations or related field required
- Minimum of four (4) years experience in tourism-related field or experience in facility operations management, event coordination or sales is required
- Convention & Visitors Bureau experience preferred
- Municipal experience preferred
- Current and valid Texas Driver’s License required with driving record that meets City guidelines required
- Prior management experience supervising people preferred
- Member of Texas Tourism or Marketing association a plus
- Proficiency with standard office equipment and office suite programs is required; skill in desktop publishing software and social media highly preferred
- Must be able to work early mornings, late nights, weekends and holidays when required, some travel is necessary and required with possible overnight stays
Location: Civic Center, Cleveland
Status: Full-time, exempt, at-will
Submit completed City of Cleveland application to:
City of Cleveland
Attn: Human Resources Department
907 E. Houston
Cleveland, TX 77327
Visit www.clevelandtexas.com to download job application. Position open until filled.
The City of Cleveland is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with known disabilities
Director of Communication & Marketing
Employer: City of Granbury
Post Date: 05/15/2013
Job Summary: The primary responsibility of this position is to oversee all marketing and promotional activities for the City (Communication/Marketing, Granbury TV), and manage the daily operations of the Tourism Department (Visitor Center and Granbury Resort Conference Center. This individual will plan and coordinate activities to enhance the City’s image as a destination for conventions, leisure travel and events. Additional responsibilities include the direction and participation in projects as assigned by the City Manager.
- Works with the City Manager and city staff to garner local, regional and statewide national public relations about Granbury; works with issues and situations to inform and involve the citizens on an as needed basis (events, activities, community happenings, emergencies, inclement weather, etc.).
- Conducts an annual in-market Press Trip and hosts journalists to garner public relations interest on behalf of Granbury.
- Represents the City of Granbury as the Public Information Officer.
- Performs marketing efforts designed to generate leisure tourism and convention stays in Granbury.
- Develop plans and implement communication/marketing/tourism goals and objectives, recommend and administer policies and procedures accordingly.
- Facilitate marketing/tourism strategies, including an annual marketing plan, for the benefit of the City and the tourism industry.
- Researches, prepares strategies for and utilizes the latest social media /advertising methods and platforms that would best fit the City and its marketing/tourism needs. Also, completes all media buys for the City.
- Implements sales plans and strategies to solicit through written, new media and verbal communications to various groups and organizations for the purpose of attracting potential visitors to Granbury.
- Develop plans for the annual operating budget for the Tourism and Channel 27 department.
- Assists with the development of new content creation for Channel 27.
- Maintain the integrity of the sales program and account management system.
- Maintains a working rapport with tourism partners – hoteliers, attractions, restaurateurs, merchants, etc. Encourages their participation in tourism promotions and co-op opportunities.
- Develop plans for the annual operating budget for the Tourism and Channel 27 department.
- Conduct a weekly segment on Granbury TV highlighting events and activities around Granbury.
- Assist in the development of new website content.
- Responsible for the supervision of the Operations Manager, Assistant Operations Manager, Sales Manager, Lead Production Manager and supporting clerical staff.
- Responsible for motivation and management of employees to insure the highest level of performance, productivity and efficiency in achieving the tasks and responsibilities of the individuals reporting to this position.
- Assigns activities, projects and programs to departmental staff.
- Represent Granbury at local/area convention meetings, tradeshows and industry events.
- Reports progress of departmental projects to the City Manager in a timely manner and on an as needed basis.
- Meets with the City Manager and staff to discuss issues and objectives, determine strategies and approaches and discuss current activities and challenges.
- Attends departmental and staff meetings, council sessions or other professional community meetings as requested.
- Greet all clients, vendors, visitors and walk-in business with a hospitable attitude.
- Employee may perform other related duties as assigned. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Public Relations, Advertising, Marketing, Business Administration or a related field.
- Masters degree preferred from an accredited college or university with an emphasis in Business Administration, Marketing or Management.
- Three to five years of proven, professional experience directly related to the marketing and tourism industries.
- Excellent knowledge of principles, practices and methodologies related to communication, advertising, public relations, sales and social media.
- Excellent working knowledge of the tourism industry and marketing trends. Maintains good working knowledge of the organization and operation of City government.
- Knowledge of how to establish and maintain effective working relations with various elected and appointed officials, key city staff and the general public.
- Knowledge of public administration principals, including basic principles of organization, management and budget preparation.
- Maintains knowledge of computer skills, including: graphic design, video production, multi-media programs and other job-related software packages.
- Ability to prepare and present clear and concise administrative, marketing, and financial reports.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours including some nights and weekends.
Physical Requirements: Ability to sit, walk, and/or stand for extended periods of time. Ability to stand, bend, squat, kneel, push, pull, and stoop while opening file drawers to place or retrieve files from filing cabinets. Hearing and vision must be satisfactory to the degree that duties may be performed effectively and safely. Employee must be able to lift up to 25 pounds (i.e. supplies, trade show materials). Must be able to speak clearly and effectively in the English language.
Work Environment: This position is a combination of office/field work. Work performed in a climate-controlled office may be subject to ordinary risks typically found in an office environment, however, some exposure to outdoor weather conditions are involved while performing field duties. Work may be subject to time pressures, frequent changes to tasks, working closely with others as part of a team, working alone 50% or more of the time, and/or performing multiple tasks simultaneously.
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills and physical demands required.
Fill out a City of Granbury employment application which can be found at 116 W Bridge St, Granbury TX 76048 or www.granbury.org
The salary is DOQ
The City of Granbury is an equal opportunity employer.
Director of Communications
Employer: San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau
San Antonio, TX
Post Date: 05/22/2013
Salary: $32.10 - $54.57 Hourly
$66,769.04 - $113,506.90 Annually
Job Summary: Under general direction, is responsible for supervising the efficient operation of the Communications Division of the Convention & Visitors Bureau which includes identifying , developing and executing a communications program to attract the interest of leisure visitors, conventions, conferences, and events. The position will identify and execute earned media opportunities. Exercises functional supervision over assigned staff.
>>Complete Job Description
Employer: City of Hutto
Post Date: 06/03/2013
Annual salary: $51,597 - $56,905 DOQ.
Closing Date: 5:00 pm on June 17, 2013
The City of Hutto is seeking a Downtown Manager to facilitate and encourage the redevelopment of downtown Hutto through coordination of special events, marketing the City, fostering relationships with local businesses, and boosting tourism.
A City of Hutto application for employment is required and must be submitted to Human Resources by 5 p.m. on Monday, June 17, 2013. Application and job description are available at www.HuttoTX.gov.
Graphic Design / New Media Manager
Employer: Norman Convention & Visitors Bureau
Post Date: 06/18/2013
Salary range: $32,000 – 35,000
General Function: To assist with the promotion of Norman as a visitor destination through the preparation of visual presentations by designing art and copy layouts, management of VisitNorman.com and social media.
- Design or create graphics to meet specific promotional needs, such as use on VisitNorman.com, sales materials, promotional brochures and advertisements, and/or electronic marketing. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite
- Coordinates departmental production schedules
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Produces VisitNorman.com and social media pages
- Maintains VisitNorman.com, incorporate SEO, repurpose content and build new pages and sections as needed
- Manage Search Engine Marketing
- Proficient with WordPress, HTML, web tools, analytics, video editing tools, and new media platforms
- Update social media outlets including blogs, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Pinterest
- Establish presence on emerging social media outlets
- Produce monthly email newsletters
- Create and install videos, audio slideshows, QR codes, wall papers, and other multimedia items; plus assist with departmental presentations as needed
- Participate and promote Norman as a visitor destination at major industry trade shows.
- Maintain a familiarity with competing areas or issues that impact on the Bureau’s ability to promote effectively.
- Complete and submit on a timely basis, appropriate monthly reports as assigned by the Executive Director. Assist Executive Director with completion of monthly and semi-annual reports of Bureau performance.
- Accept and implement other duties as assigned at the discretion of the Executive Director. All additional responsibilities will be discussed with the professional in the position before assigned.
- Identify, recruit and encourage local people affiliated with state, regional, and national organizations to hold future activities in Norman.
- Skills/Qualifications: Graphic design skills, layout skills, creative services, exceptional writing and editing skills, customer focus, creativity, flexibility, attention to detail, deadline-oriented, desktop publishing tools (Adobe Creative Suite), acute vision, handles constructive feedback
- Education and Experience Requirements:
- Four-year college degree in digital media, interaction design, marketing, communications or similar field is required
- At least 2 years of recent destination management, tourism promotion or hospitality industry experience
- Website management
- Experience in brand marketing
- Exhibit great social and public relations skills
- Flexible, organized and outgoing personality
- Proficient at both verbal and written communication
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products; Adobe Creative Suite
- Valid Oklahoma drivers license
- Able to travel overnight throughout the year
- Able to work some weekends and evenings as required
- Able to lift and carry boxes up to 40 lbs.
- Able to stand for multiple hours during trade shows
Submit resume and portfolio of graphic design work to:
Stephen Koranda, CTA
Norman Convention and Visitors Bureau
2424 Springer Drive, Suite 107
Norman, OK 73069
Employer: Stillwater Convention & Visitors Bureau
Post Date: 05/15/2013
Salary range: $31,075 - $44,324, com
Closing date: 5/24/13
Responsible for marketing and communications projects and day-to-day tasks that enhance the image of the Convention and Visitors Bureau and Stillwater, OK. This position is responsible for planning, implementing, and reviewing internal and external communication programs. Four-year degree in marketing/communications or equivalent experience is required.
Resume, cover letter, writing samples, and completed City application required for consideration. Visit www.stillwater.org/employment for more information.
Employer: Tyler Convention & Visitors Bureau
Post Date: 06/03/2013
Salary range: 40,000 – 41,000 DOQ
Serve as Marketing and Communications Specialist for the Tyler Convention and Visitors Bureau. To oversee all aspects of marketing Tyler as a tourist, convention and sports market destination.
Detailed Job Duties:
1. To develop and implement a comprehensive marketing plan to promote Tyler, Texas as a tourist, convention and sports market destination, both regionally and statewide.
2. Work closely with the VP-General Manager/Conventions, AVP-Tourism/Servicing and VP-SporTyler, to stay within the perimeters of the planned annual budgets.
3. Create (along with Bureau staff and graphic designer) all internal and external advertising related to promoting the tourism, convention and sports market in Tyler.
4. Work closely with internal and external media outlets to promote Tyler locally, regionally, nationally and internationally (including organizing press conferences and writing press releases).
5. To develop and maintain a working data base of advertisers and media contacts.
6. Coordinate a report monthly for the Tyler Area Chamber of Commerce Board on the progress of the annual marketing plan (attend monthly Chamber board meetings). Compile final report from the AVP Tourism/Servicing, VP SporTyler and VP General Manager/Conventions.
7. Work with Bureau staff to build and maintain a brand image of Tyler. Work within the Style Guide specifications on all produced materials.
8. Work closely with the staff and committees of the Tyler Area Chamber of Commerce, the City of Tyler, the Hispanic Business Alliance and the Tyler Economic Development Council and other organizations with similar missions and goals.
9. Oversee web site updates and implement social media postings. Develop and implement new and innovative advertising and publicity programs through all types of media (both web based and mobile based) for the future development of visitors to our city.
10. Develop (with help from a graphic artist) brochures and marketing materials that promote the city. (Example: Visitor Guide, Rose Season Brochure, Coupon Book, Azalea and Spring Flower Trail Brochure)
11. Create electronic newsletter – published quarterly.
12. Maintain Hotel Listing and Convention and Tourism Planner Guides.
13. Work with the Bureau staff when servicing is needed for tour, convention and sporting groups.
14. Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Journalism, Business, or related field. APR accreditation from the Public Relations Society of America preferred. Must have 5 years experience in marketing or related field. Have a general working knowledge of Adobe, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
Report directly to the VP – General Manager/Conventions, Tyler Convention and Visitors Bureau
Performance: Evaluated by the VP – General Manager/Conventions, Tyler Convention and Visitors Bureau, based on overall work attitude and ability to perform above described duties.
Send resume to:
Tyler Convention and Visitors Bureau
Vice President - General Manager/Conventions
315 North Broadway • Tyler, TX 75702
p 903-592-6979 • f 903-592-1268
Outside Sales Representative: Rio Grande Valley Area (Full-Time)
Employer: City of South Padre Island
South Padre Island, TX
Post Date: 05/21/2013
Pay Rate: $35,000/annually (plus commission)
This City of South Padre Island is looking for a person who resides in the Rio Grande Valley area to perform outside sales duties in the area. The purpose of this position is to promote South Padre Island as a meeting and Convention destination to potential and established accounts. Increase hotel occupancy by being a liaison between local event planners, organizations, hotels, businesses and clients. Applicant must have a degree from a four-year college or university with a degree in marketing, tourism or a closely related field along with two years of related experience or any equivalent combination of related education and experience to be determined appropriate by the City.
Deadline to submit applications is June 7th, 2013 at 10:00am.
Position Purpose: To promote South Padre Island as a meeting and Convention destination to potential and established accounts. Increase hotel occupancy by being a liaison between local event planners, organizations, hotels, businesses and clients.
- Conduct direct sales efforts through convention and meeting bids.
- Responsible for the collection of bids for potential and established clients.
- Responds to many service requests and ensures that the clients are personally introduced to the local establishments that are hosting their event or stay.
- Develops relationships with identified entities who may be interested in hosting meetings at South Padre Island Convention Centre or hotels.
- Develop creative sales techniques, ideas and solutions.
- Prepare and present oral presentations, as needed, to conventions, organizations and meetings about the City of South Padre Island.
- Work independently with little direction to meet deadlines and schedules, plan and organize work; prepare and maintain files, records and reports.
- Responsible for assessing situations and developing strategies to achieve desired results.
- Establish and maintain harmonious and effective working relationships with fellow employees, Board members, City officials, hospitality partners and other outside agencies and the public.
- Administer special projects and other duties as requested by the Director.
- Respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive citizen and vendor inquiries and complaints.
- Responsible for representing the City in a professional manner to create a positive image for the City.
- Responsible for staying abreast of new trends and innovations in the tourism and convention industry.
- Represent the City of South Padre Island in area, regional and state organizations when assigned.
Secondary Functions: Perform all other duties as required or assigned.
Capital and/or Fiscal Responsibility: Responsible for adhering to all City of South Padre Island Purchasing Policies while performing purchasing tasks.
Credentials (minimum preferred)
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to establish successful working relationships with employees, other departments, officials and the general public.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Skill in the use of all listed tools and equipment.
- Ability to work under pressure and/or with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to maintain accurate records; type and enter data accurately.
- Working knowledge of computers and electronic data processing.
- Graduation from a four-year college or university with a degree in marketing, tourism or a closely related field.
- Valid state driver’s license.
- Two (2) years of related experience or any equivalent combination of related education and experience to be determined appropriate by the City.
- Bilingual: Spanish and English preferred.
Tools and Equipment Used: Personal laptop computer to include specialized software; calculator; copy and fax machine; printer; telephone; automobile; and cellular phone.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk; lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work environment changes depending on the scheduled work. The work environment requires the employee to be in outside conditions for short periods of time frequently throughout the day where the employee may be exposed to extreme heat, cold, wet, windy or humid conditions. This position requires frequent travel usually by vehicle or air. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet or very noisy depending on the location. This position does not maintain at office on City property. This position will be provided a laptop, cell phone allowance and car allowance for business purposes.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required.
Detailed job description and City application form are available at www.MySPI.org.
To apply for this position please send a completed City Application form and resume by fax, email or mail to:
City of South Padre Island
Attn: Human Resources
4601 Padre Blvd.
South Padre Island, TX 78597
(956) 761-3244 – phone
(956) 761-3888 – fax
The City of South Padre Island is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to ensuring a workplace free of discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, and any other basis protected by applicable law.
Employer: San Angelo Convention & Visitors Bureau
San Angelo, TX
Post Date: 05/23/2013
Salary $32,000-34,000 DOE
Summary-The Sales Manager is responsible for bringing new business to San Angelo. Manager will be responsible for promoting and selling San Angelo to potential conventions, meetings, reunions & group business.
Travel, evenings and weekend work are required.
- Soliciting meeting & convention business through sales calls, mail and phone work. Interaction with meeting planners, associations, motorcoach operators & reunion planners.
- Travel to top markets in Texas for sales calls to include but not limited to Midland, Austin, Abilene, Lubbock, Fort Worth and Dallas.
- Represent San Angelo at select trade shows and promotional events and sales blitzes.
- Maintain an updated data base of potential customers.
- Prepare a bi-weekly sales report for the Director of Sales and V.P.
- Assist with presentations of city bids for conventions & events
- Attend sales meetings as directed by the V.P.
- Become knowledgeable about San Angelo and its various facilities as well learning about the history of San Angelo.
- Give tours and act as step on guide as needed for motorcoach groups as needed.
- Assemble convention goodie bags and promotional packets as needed.
- Continually update databases.
- Maintain a close working relationship with San Angelo hotel and hospitality partners.
- Prepare Power Point Presentations for convention bids and sales efforts.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or Sales & Marketing. Candidate should have at least 1 year of outside sales experience in the travel and convention industry.
Prior related work experience would include hotel sales, convention bureau or meeting industry sales background.
Must be able to travel up to 40% or as required and have a valid Texas Drivers License.
Submit resume to Pamela Miller, SACOC, 418 West Ave. B, San Angelo, TX 7690
Special Projects Coord IV (Business Manager)
Employer: TxDOT Travel Division
Post Date: 06/06/2013
Salary: $3,894.25 - $6,230.75 Per Month
Job Requisition #: 020144
Classification Title: Program Specialist V Salary Group / Class: B21 / 1574
Business Unit: Travel Information Division Number of Openings: 1
Work Location Address:
150 E RIVERSIDE DR
AUSTIN, TX 787041202
Closing Date: 06/20/13 at 5pm
Type of Employment: Regular Full-Time Shift: FIRST
Type of Driver's License Required: Class C
Travel (Overnight): Yes - 15%
You are encouraged to apply on-line at http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/careers/apply.html. You may also apply at the nearest Texas Department of Transportation Human Resources Office as listed on the application instruction sheet between the hours of 8am and 5pm. If you elect to apply using a paper application, the department will only accept a completed State of Texas Application for Employment. For each Summary of Work Experience listed, only three quarters of a page of text will be considered. Applicable information must be submitted on or before the closing date. Faxed applications are not accepted.
Human Resources Office Telephone: 512/416-2994
If requested, reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities for any part of the employment process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Performs high-level, professional administrative work requiring highly specialized program or project management knowledge. Lead worker oversees team of technical and professional employees engaged in marketing, fulfillment and distribution of products and literature created by the Travel information Division. Reports to Travel Publications Section Director. Work involves the establishment of goals and coordination of activities with other internal work units and external organizations. Work requires extensive contact with high-level executives and governmental agencies. Employees at this level are virtually self-supervising and assume direct accountability for the work product.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in business or public administration, marketing or advertising plus five (5) years progressively responsible experience in staff administration, business analysis, project or program administration or communication related activities. (Experience requirements may be satisfied by full- time experience or the prorated part-time equivalent.)
- The Texas Penal Code (Section 32.52) prohibits the use of fraudulent or substandard degrees. Education and degree information listed on applications will be verified for all final applicants. See "Education Verification" on http://www.txdot.gov/careers/verification.htm page for information on verifying degrees.
Extensive knowledge of
- Applicable governmental laws, rules and regulations specific to area of responsibility for safeguarding people and property free from danger, injury, liability or damage
- Program/project planning, development and management methodologies
- Texas geography, history and cultures
- Publishing and printing terminology and processes
- Marketing techniques
- Mailing lists and newsstands for developing magazine subscription growth and product sales
Thorough knowledge of
- Budgeting methods and procedures
Expert skill in
- Establishing plans and setting objectives and goals that support overall business strategy/results; anticipating and adjusting for problems/roadblocks
- Directing and establishing objectives; clarifying roles and responsibilities through individual performance plans; monitoring and measuring performance against goals; evaluating results and making necessary adjustments to meet deadlines
- Developing, interpreting and implementing policies, procedures and technical information
- Initiates and supports quality management activities and performance management measures to provide the highest quality products and services that meet the needs and requirements of internal and external customers
- Exercises logic and reasoning to define problems, establish facts and draw valid conclusions; makes decisions that support business objectives and goals
- Leads the work of professional and clerical employees in overseeing daily administrative and technical operations for Section.
- Coordinates the compilation and preparation of operational and financial reports and analyses; tracks progress and adverse trends; makes recommendations.
- Assists in developing, planning and monitoring section budget. Evaluates statistical data and interprets results; prepares reports on program and project activities.
- Conducts program and project analyses and develops, recommends solutions and methods to increase productivity and efficiency and streamline operations.
- Forecasts short- and long-term projections including possible levels of support from multiple funding sources; confers with appropriate personnel to recommend priorities and future goal planning.
- Coordinates purchasing, warehousing and other administrative support functions for section; monitors budget activities.
- Acts as liaison with all levels of administration and outside organizations to coordinate section business, accomplishes directives and facilitates problem resolution.
- Represents the Department and participates on interagency groups, technical committees or special task force groups; drives and travels by other modes to conduct department business.
- Performs sensitive duties to include internal audits, investigations or mediation-related work.
- Researches and analyzes information to produce correspondence and reports.
- Uses a variety of mainframe and personal computer programs and project management, modeling, research and analysis, contracting, financial and human resources applications.
- Reviews, prioritizes, assigns and monitors special or non-routine projects to ensure completion.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Driver's record check will be conducted by the Department. Satisfactory driving records are required for driving state or personal vehicles and motor driven equipment to conduct agency business.
- Must attend work regularly and observe approved work hours.
- External final applicants for any department position who could potentially be required to drive for the department must pass a drug test prior to employment and will be subject to reasonable cause testing during employment.
- External final male applicants who are 18-25 years of age will be required to furnish proof of registration or exemption from registration with the Selective Service System.
- Successful completion of a post-offer/pre-employment physical exam at the employer's expense is required.
- If hired, employee must provide document(s) within three (3) days of hire date that establish identity and employment eligibility. A complete list of acceptable documents is on file with the local Texas Workforce Commission office or http://www.twc.state.tx.us/.
- Department employees or family members will not have, either directly or indirectly, any financial or other personal interest in a department (or a TxDOT) contract or subcontract of any kind. A contract may not be awarded to an entity that is owned in whole or in part by any TxDOT employee or immediate family member.
- As part of its employment process, TxDOT may procure or have prepared a criminal background check. An applicant with an unsatisfactory criminal background check report is ineligible to be hired for the position for which the report is initiated.
- Initial screening is based on the Education and Experience minimum requirements defined in the job posting. Interviewee selection is based on applicant information explaining how they meet each Competency requirement in the summary of experience). If you elect to apply using a paper application, the department will only accept a completed State of Texas Application for Employment. For each Summary of Work Experience listed, only three quarters of a page of text will be considered.
- No attachments such as resumes, pictures, letters of recommendation, references and/or training records or certificates will be accepted. Such attachments will not be given any consideration and will be removed from the application form and destroyed.
- Official transcripts or other minimum requirement validations will be requested at the time of the conditional job offer.
- An internal applicant who is selected for a position in their current salary group that has the same state title is not eligible for a salary increase. An internal applicant who is selected for a position in their current salary group with a new state title may receive an increase up to 3.4%.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Employer: Nacogdoches Convention & Visitors Bureau
Post Date: 05/28/2013
Salary Range: $29,000-$31,000 plus health, dental & vision insurance; 11 paid holidays annually; paid vacation and sick time.
Closing Date: June 14, 2013
Position Summary: The Tourism Coordinator is responsible for group sales (including but not limited to group tours, meeting/conventions, sports), and tourism activities. In the absence of the Executive Director, the Tourism Coordinator is responsible for the bureau’s administrative operations. The Tourism Coordinator reports to the Executive Director.
Position Mission: To work closely and proactively with meeting planners, event coordinators, group leaders and the like, to bring groups and organizations to Nacogdoches as a meeting destination and to ensure these groups have the resources necessary for a successful event.
1. Solicit and book meetings and conventions from various market segments (65%).
2. Solicit and book group tours, and provide assistance with local arrangements necessary to facilitate a successful outcome (15%).
3. Develop and implement an annual advertising plan for the Bureau (10%).
4. Plan and implement tourism activities such as guided walking tours; work with staff on other special events such as National Tourism Week activities, SFA Orientation Program, etc. (5%).
5. Coordinate and implement special projects as assigned by the Executive Director (5%).
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the CVB.
•Increase the number of confirmed conventions and meetings to our area to maximize utilization of all meeting facilities and sleeping rooms.
•Identify and develop qualified leads from targeted market segments. Utilize local members and officers to solicit state-wide organizations through local marketing programs.
•Strengthen Nacogdoches’ image and visibility as a premier destination for
meetings, conventions, sports and events.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
Must have knowledge of Bureau organization, objectives, policies and operations; modern office practices, procedures and equipment; and record keeping techniques.
Excellent communication skills; must maintain professional appearance, attitude and dress during normal business hours and after-hours events and appearances.
Position requires patience, tenacity and understanding of current meeting trends and how those trends are acknowledged by local hospitality partners. This position relies on being able to bring together the needs of meeting planners with what our local partners can supply.
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills, good word processing, spreadsheet and database management skills and possess interpersonal skills using tact and diplomacy.
Must have knowledge of the tour and travel industry, visitor solicitation and service programs, and marketing and public relations.
Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with others, meet schedules and deadlines, plan and organize work, maintain records and prepare reports, conduct sales and public relations programs and tours, prepare sales presentations.
Education, Experience, and Requirements: An education combination equivalent to a four-year college degree in sales, marketing, tourism or related field preferred. Prior experience in a tourism-related field, preferably with a convention and visitors bureau preferred. Must have a valid Texas driver’s license, dependable automobile transportation and be available for weekend work and out-of-town travel.
Working Conditions: Fast-paced professional office environment.
Send Resume to:
Uvalde Convention and Civic Center Manager
Employer: Uvalde Convention & Visitors Bureau
Post Date: 06/03/2013
Hiring ASAP, prefer start by June 24, 2013
Responsible for the day-to-day management of the civic center. Plans, coordinates, and manages the operations and activities of the SSGT Willie de Leon Civic Center; markets the Civic Center’s facilities to the public, negotiates and administers lessee contracts; supervises assigned personnel. Responds to facility rental inquires and requests; determines customer even requirements; monitors and ensures services provided appropriately meet the needs of customers; prepares a variety of event records and documentation.
Examples of Duties:
Provides professional client services and support in the planning, organization, and management of various types of events held at the SSGT Willie de Leon Civic Center. Responds to facility rental requests in person and via telephone and email; provides information to customers regarding rental rates and operational policies. Shows rental spaces to customers; obtains overview of customer event plans and requirements; calculates rental deposits and fees; prepares and administers rental agreements. Determines event insurance, security, and permit requirements; monitors and ensures appropriate insurance certificates, licenses, and permits are obtained in a timely manner. Oversees and supervises the set-up and execution of events; prepares, updates, and distributes Event Calendar, Event Set-Up, and Detailed Data sheets to City Staff. Liaises with other City departments and outside vendors regarding event activities. Ensures the physical set-up and all equipment/personnel provided by lessee is in accordance with facility rules and regulations. Accepts and processes payments for Civic Center reservations. Reconciles event fees; refunds damage deposits; solicits event feedback; negotiates the re-booking of events. Prepares and maintains a variety of event records, reports, and documentation. Manages and maintains cash receipts; submits financial reports to the City Finance Department. Assists the Uvalde Convention & Visitors Bureau in developing strategies to increase booking of local events and/or identifying and recruiting convention groups. Represents and promotes the Civic Center to the general public and local hospitality, tourism, and hotel organizations; serves on various committees as assigned or appointed. Supervises and evaluates the performance of assigned personnel; monitors and ensures staff compliance with the Civic Center’s policies, procedures, and regulatory requirements. Provides assistance in compiling data and preparing annual facility budget. Coordinates and conducts a variety of special projects as assigned. Performs other related duties as assigned or required. Leads and participates in the development, implementation, and administration of the Civic Center’s plans, programs, policies, and procedures. Markets and promotes the City of Uvalde as a premier convention and meeting host site. Coordinates with City staff and vendors regarding the purchase of supplies, equipment, and/or maintenance services for the Civic Center. Complies and analyzes statistical/financial data; prepares a variety of reports and/or documentation pertaining to the number and type of events, revenue, and customer satisfaction.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
Work is performed in and around Civic Center facilities. Subject to sitting for extended periods of time, standing, walking, bending, reaching, and lifting of objects up to 50 pounds. Exposure to variable weather conditions and potentially irate members of the public is involved.
High School Diploma or equivalent, & min. of two years of event management & marketing experience. Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License.
To apply, mail resume to:
Debra Stifflemire, Executive Director
Uvalde Convention & Visitors Bureau
300 E. Main St.
Uvalde, Tx 78801
If you would like to post a position vacancy, e-mail your position in Word format to:
Texas Association of Convention & Visitor Bureaus